Thursday, May 22, 2008

Real (BAD) Men of Genius

Almost 10 years ago (1999) Miller Light first began their "Real Men of Genius" Campaign. This advertising ploy basically consists of everyday Joe's and people with funny or menial jobs who the commercial then pays tribute to (and use an awesome background vocalist).

The first time I heard one of these unsung-hero advertisements I laughed my ass off. And then I though, wow, Miller Light sounds awesome, I should buy a case!! This may have also been because I was about 16 years old and really, anything that contains alcohol seems like the best idea ever.

Flash forward to 2008 and what do my ears hear on the radio but the Real Men of Genius! Unfortunately, it's not funny. In fact, it's about as funny as if Budweiser brought back their frogs - who were also funny at first- and pretended as if no time had lapsed. Why hasn't anyone else said anything about this?? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

*Note: According to Wikipedia, the commercials have been running steadily throughout the years, but I swear on a stack of bibles that I haven't heard any of these until about a month ago. Regardless, my position is still the same - old news.

1 comment:

Rich Funk said...

Actually, they started as "Real American Heroes" but then changed the name after 9/11.

When beer commercials change their marketing strategies, the terrorists have truly won.