Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thanks A Lot Brian Bilbray

First: Steve said that my stance on offshore drilling may lead some people to believe I encourage it, when I in fact do not, so I apologize for any vagueness. So to clear it up:

NO OFFSHORE DRILLING

Anyway, Congressman Brian Bilbray wrote me back this morning.
Here was his Auto-Response to anything about energy.


..................................

Dear Ms. Burnett:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the high cost of oil and the need to take steps to increase our domestic energy production. I share your concerns and I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Today, the people of San Diego County pay some of the highest gas prices in the country. As I pump gas near my house in Carlsbad, I'm paying $4.69 a gallon. According to the San Diego Association of Governments, the average family income is $52,600 a year. Needless to say, our quality of life is being impacted by these high prices.

As the global price of oil has increased from $50 a barrel to nearly $140 a barrel, the average price of gas in San Diego has surged to more than $4.60 a gallon. This has placed a tremendous burden on all our families, particularly those least able to afford it. Unfortunately, our energy problem is likely to increase as the rapidly growing economies of China and India demand increasing amounts of oil and the amount of proven reserves stagnates.

In the short term, increasing the supply of oil will help reduce prices at the pump. It is for that reason that I voted with many of my colleagues for H.R. 6022 to temporarily suspend deposits into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. This freed approximately 70,000 barrels of oil a day for domestic use and experts suggest that it could lower gas prices up to 24 cents per gallon. President Bush signed this measure into law on May 19, 2008.

In addition, I support granting states the right to explore and drill for oil resources within their own domain. For example, if the states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama want to grant drilling rights off their coast, Washington, DC bureaucrats should not impede their leasing authority as long as it doesn't impact our national security and is done in an environmentally responsible manner. Furthermore, states like California should retain their right to prohibit off-shore drilling off their coast.

Increasing supply through new development is only an intermediate step. To prepare for the long run, we must invest in sustainable energy sources such as solar, nuclear, algae and hydrogen technologies. As a result, I am pleased to let you know that I am a cosponsor of H.R. 5984, the Clean Energy Tax Stimulus Act, which will extend renewable energy and conservation tax credits that are set to expire at the end of 2008. Because of the long lead time involved with many of these projects, we have already seen renewable energy project development impacted by the imminently expiring tax credits. We must act quickly to ensure continued forward progress and a more reliable energy future.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Rest assured that I will work with my colleagues to reduce the price of gas and enact policies that will provide for a secure, robust and clean energy future for our families and communities. If you have any questions, please call me or my office at (202) 225-0508.


Sincerely,


Brian Bilbray
Member of Congress

.......................................


1. I don't care about the cost of gas near your house in Carlsbad that I cant afford.

2. Stop blaming China and India. Yes, I do realize that this is a major issue, but we need to be accountable for our own actions. Let's not add to the problem, let's fix it. We can't fix other people, but we can fix ourselves.

3. I don't agree in offshore drilling ANYWHERE! I definitely agree that the government shouldn't interfere and make a state drill, but I don't think that states should be allowed to do this. Nada. And that is why, just based on this email, I will find a way to vote you out of office. Jerk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I work on Nick Leibham's campaign against Brian Bilbray. Great article. Email me if you want to help us out.

Tom Berlin said...

New "John McCain" Commercial is blaming Obama for High Gas Prices and says let's fight our dependency on foreign oil by drilling more in America!

What a Crock of Poop!